Height Adjustable or Sit-Stand Desks, Ergonomic Task Chairs, Footrests, and Ergonomic Keyboards are wise investments for any person who spends more than a couple hours at a computer every day. Prolonged durations of sitting have been shown to reduce productivity and increase health related work absences. Sit-Stand Offices are becoming more and more popular amongst younger and more health conscious executives.
A wave of new research indicates that sitting all day is actively damaging your health. By forcing a body designed for movement to hold a crushingly immobile position, sitting strains muscles, slows your metabolism, increases your risk of heart disease, and even shortens your life span. "Sitting is a health hazard on the order of smoking," says Marc Hamilton, PhD, a microbiologist at the Pennington Biomedical Research Center.
Worse yet, experts say that 60 to 90 minutes of daily exercise may not counteract the effects of sitting all day. In fact, Hamilton says, the biochemical reactions slowed by sitting are completely different from the ones that are activated by your daily workout. The biggest difference between thin and fat people is not how much they eat or exercise, but how much they sit, according to James Levine, MD, an obesity researcher at the Mayo Clinic.
According to Health Magazine "Sitting can have just as great an effect on your weight than eating or exercise, all because our metabolism engine is fueled by constant little movements".
You burn three times as many calories standing up as you do by sitting, and 4-5 times as many by walking. Ideally, you should get your body in motion at least once an hour (some find it helpful to set an hourly reminder). The simplest non-exercise activity intervention you can do for yourself is to stand up. Getting out of your chair is like a wake-up call for your body!
In between those activities, ergonomic products can help relieve some of the pressure on your seated body. Height Adjustable or Sit-Stand Desks, Ergonomic Task Chairs, Footrests, and Ergonomic Keyboards are all great steps towards reducing strain and promoting proper posture.
Progressive companies are "making an ergonomic stand" by equipping their office workers with Ergonomic means to accomplish tasks, thereby ensuring greater health and productivity.
By providing Ergonomic Evaluations, as well as Ergonomic Office Layout and Designs (including Sit and Standing Desk Options) in Orange County, Los Angeles and San Diego, CA Office Furniture & Design helps to improve the working conditions for employees. An effective ergonomics program will lower company’s OSHA lost time and restricted day injury rates.
A Height Adjustable or Sit-Stand Desk allows you to raise and lower your work surface and monitor throughout the day, enabling you to sit or stand while working. These desks are sturdy and easy to use. Hereby a couple of Sit-Stand Desk Options that we offer. However, virtually any Desk Combination can be converted into a Sit-Stand Option. Feel free to contact us for more details.
If you are not able to convert to a Sit-Stand Desk, then you should ensure that you have other Ergonomic Tools in place to support good and healthy posture:
Factors to consider when selecting an Ergonomic Chair:
- All ergonomic chairs are not the same and prices can vary from $100 to $600+. Spend as much as you can afford to ensure that you purchase the best, most comfortable ergonomic chair for you. Remember, you get what you pay for.
- Look for the most adjustable features. This will make it easier to adjust the chair to your body type.
- Select a chair where the size and shape of the seat cushion and back rest matches your body size. Ergonomic Chairs will have seat measurements available as part of the specifications.
- Ensure that the height and tilt of the seat cushion is adjustable. Adjustable tilt of the seat cushion is a feature that usually only ergonomic chairs come with. Setting the seat cushion tilt to a comfortable position allows for even greater versatility than height adjustment by itself.
- An ergonomic chair will also allow you to adjust the depth, or tilt, of your back support cushion. When sitting for long hours at the computer, an adjustable back rest can mean the difference between comfort and back pains.
- Look for an adjustable chair arms feature – to ensure optimizing the ergonomic angles when seated.
- Your chair should be an extension of your Work Surface.
- A good chair will always include at least a 5 – 10 year manufacturer’s warranty on component parts such as control mechanisms, pneumatic cylinders, wood, plastic parts, base and casters. Less expensive brands end up costing you more in the long run, between chair replacement and your own personal discomfort and lack of productivity.
CA Office Furniture & Design specializes in coordinating the office furniture requirements for Relocating and Expanding Businesses, anywhere in Southern California. We do Free Ergonomic Space Planning and Design as well as the Manufacturing and Installation of Furniture. Our ranges cover New Furniture,Refurbished Cubicles as well as Used Furniture.
Feel free to visit our Virtual Showroom at: http://www.caofficedesign.com