Filing and Storage Cabinets
CA Office Design’s range of Filing Systems offer one of the best tools in maintaining an organized and efficient office space at your business. Our wide range of pedestals, lateral files, bookcases, storage cabinets & fireproof filing cabinets, are available in different sizes, colors and materials, which enables you to find just the right system for you to organize your office space efficiently.
Filing Cabinet Types
- Vertical Filing Cabinets
- The more traditional of the options, which range from a 2 drawer to 10 drawer filing cabinet.
- They are generally very deep but take up little width, as they are only as wide as a vertical folder.
- Slightly wider than a foot (30 cm) and can be 12 to 30 inches deep (30-76 cm).
- Lateral Filing Cabinets
- A lateral filing cabinet, on the other hand, is designed for use where wall space is not important but depth may be a factor.
- A lateral filing cabinet is much wider than a vertical filing cabinet. This difference allows them to hold documents that vary in width and can handle much greater widths.
- Generally lateral filing cabinets are not very deep, ranging from less than a foot (30 cm) and can be up to 45 inches wide (114 cm).
- Horizontal Filing Cabinets
- Ideal for storing large sheets of paper such as blueprints, drawings and sketches. They vary greatly in depth and width.
- 2, 3 or 5 Shelf options with adjustable shelves, sturdy enough to handle books, binders & catalogs / office files.
- An open shelf, like a bookshelf. This is normally installed with panel systems & gets attached to the panel wall, with half height or full height ends (depending on the panel height).
Quality of Filing Cabinets
There are three main areas you need to consider when checking the quality of a filing cabinet:
- Suspension - One of the most important aspects to consider is the suspension. If the suspension is flimsy, as in many cheap file cabinets, the drawers will not open and shut properly once they have files in the drawers.
- Durability - High quality filing cabinets are made of reinforced steel, which will ensure protection of important files.
- Safety Features - There are a variety of features that can be utilized to ensure
safety. Be sure to check for the following:
- Anti-tipping features that does not allow multiple drawers to be opened at one time.
- Counter weighted drawers, locking mechanisms that allow only one drawer to be open at a time, and drawers that open smoothly even when heavily loaded.
Wooden Filing Cabinets
Wooden file cabinets, bookcases & storage units are usually the top choice for executive offices. Wooden options will give you a warm ambiance and will look more like room decor and less like a storage system. You can normally choose from Mahogany, Cherry & Maple. See CA Office Furniture & Design’s Case Goods options.
Metal Files and Storage Cabinets
With metal or steel Filing & Storage Cabinets or Pedestals, function comes before style. Ask yourself if you need 2, 3, 4 or 5 drawer Lateral Files or Flat Files. Consider the office space you have to work with and think about whether lateral or vertical units will meet your needs. Do you need a small filing cabinet or does it need to be mobile with rolling wheels? Maybe stationary units meet your needs. What level of security is needed? What type of locks do you need to protect your files? When you decide on the function of your filing cabinet, then you can consider your color. Generally metal options come in gray, black, charcoal or putty.
Metal options are recommended by CA Office Furniture & Design:
- They are considered to be more sturdy and durable than other materials.
- Metal units are also lockable and offer safety features such as anti-tipping features, counter weighted drawers, and drawers that open smoothly even when heavily loaded.
- The OSP Metal Filing Range offered by CA Office Furniture & Design, incorporates a special type of lightweight metal that helps eliminate issues people have when trying to move these units. They can also be made mobile by incorporating rolling wheels.
- These units are available in the following finishes:
- Medium Tone
- Light Grey
Fireproof Filing Cabinets
You should consider fireproof filing cabinets as an option in storage for irreplaceable documents. Look for units that are certified to perform vigorous fireproof qualities. These units are tested to sustain temperatures of 1700°F (926°C) for one full hour without the internal temperature exceeding 350°F (176°C). If you need fireproof protection for fragile media such as disks, electronic storage, and tape, you need a filing cabinet that will withstand heat without the internal temperature exceeding 125°F (52°C). Fireproof units also come with durable locks to keep important files protected.
Most wooden and metal filing cabinets weigh between 5 and 20 pounds. A fireproof filing cabinet can weigh between 300 and 1,200 pounds depending on its size, which is why a fireproof filing cabinet is generally used for commercial and industrial purposes. Because of their weight, they are nearly immovable unless done so mechanically. The difference in weight is an indicator of how much more sturdy and durable a fire proof filing cabinet is as compared to wood or metal options.
Fireproof units can withstand fire because they are built with several inches of reinforced steel, which is also why they are so heavy. Fireproof reinforced steel units can generally withstand between 1 and 2 hours of fire heat, which may seem excessive but perhaps not when they are your documents that need to be protected. There is never a guarantee that fire fighters will be able to extinguish a fire quickly.
CA Office Furniture & Design is focused on the office furniture requirements for Relocating and Expanding Businesses, anywhere in Southern California. We do Free Space Planning & Design, Ergonomic Office & Cubicle Layouts as well as the Manufacturing & Installation of Furniture. Our ranges cover New Furniture, Refurbished Cubicles as well as Used Furniture.
Products & Services include:
Office Space Planning and Design, Office Layouts, Cubicle Layouts and Cubicle Design, Relocation Project Management, New or Used Office Furniture, Used or Refurbished Cubicles. Office Desks, Office Chairs, Space Chairs, Task Chairs, Visitors Chairs, Lobby Chairs, Conference Chairs, Ergonomic Chairs, Desk Chairs, Training and Nesting Tables and Chairs, Filing and Storage Systems, Reception Desks, Reception Stations, Veneer or Laminate Conference Tables, Telemarketing Cubicles, Call Centers, Reception & Lobby Furniture, Modular Offices and Modular Walls, Executive Office Furniture, Executive Chairs and Cubicle Chairs, Office Cubicles, Office Walls, Panel Walls, Modular Panels, Meeting or Lunchroom Tables, Metal Desks, L Shaped Desks, Laminate Desks, Storage Desks, Reception Stations, Storage Cabinets, Utility Cabinets Lateral Files, Steel Storage, Filing Cabinets, Metal Files, Metal Storage, 2 Drawer Lateral, 3 Drawer Lateral, 4 Drawer Lateral, 5 Drawer Lateral Files.
Focus Areas Include:
LA County: Agoura Hills, Alhambra, Arcadia, Azusa, Bell Gardens, Bellflower, Burbank, Calabasas, Carson, Cerritos, City of Industry, Commerce, Compton, Covina, Culver City, Diamond Bar, Downey, Duarte, East Los Angeles, East Pasadena, El Monte, El Segundo, Florence, Gardena, Glendale, Glendora, Hawthorne, Hollywood, Hyde Park, Inglewood, Long Beach, Los Angeles, Lynwood, Manhattan Beach, Montebello, Monterey Park, Norwalk, Paramount, Pasadena, Pico Rivera, Pomona, Redondo Beach, Santa Monica, South Gate, South Los Angeles, South Pasadena, Torrance, West Covina, West Hollywood, Willowbrook
Orange County: Aliso Viejo, Anaheim, Brea, Buena Park, Costa Mesa, Cypress, Dana Point, Fullerton, Garden Grove, Huntington Beach, Irvine, Laguna Beach, Laguna Hills, Laguna Niguel, Lake Forest, Los Alamitos, Mission Viejo, Newport Beach, Orange, Placentia, San Clemente, San Juan Capistrano, Santa Ana, Seal Beach, Stanton, Tustin, Westminster, Yorba Linda
Riverside County: Corona, Hemet, Lake Elsinore, Moreno Valley, Murrieta, Norco, Palm Desert, Palm Springs, Perris, Riverside, San Jacinto, Temecula, Wildomar
San Bernardino County: Chino, Chino Hills, Fontana, Ontario, Rancho Cucamonga, Redlands, San Bernardino, Upland
San Diego County: 4S Ranch, Camp Pendleton, Carlsbad, Del Mar, Encinitas, Escondido, Fallbrook, La Mesa, Oceanside, Poway, Rancho Bernardo, San Diego, San Marcos, Solana Beach, Vista